Source of funds: 11th EDF (CRIS ref: 2017/040-390)
Decision date: 11/12/2017 (FA Signature date: 27/02/2018)
EU Contribution: 16,4 MEUR (+4 M EUR from Germany)
Implementation period: 2018 - 2022
Implementation modalities: EU MS Agency (GIZ)
Geographical Area: West Africa
The main objective of the EPSAO Project is to support the ECOWAS Commission in its mandate to prevent and
manage conflict and security threats in West Africa.
· Conclicts, such as those in Mali, with Boko Haram or crisis in Gambia are are solved through political
dialogue and appropriate strategies at regional level;
· There are no spill overs of conflicts from one member state to another;
· Terrorist activities have stopped in Macina and southward;
· ECOWAS Standby Force is fully operational.
· Strengthening ECOWAS’s mechanisms to promote and maintain peace and stability and post crisis
o Supporting needs-based training for ECOWAS Peace Operations;
o Supporting ECOWAS Standby Force exercises - Cooperation and partnership with Training
Centres of Excellence and Training Institutions to make the ECOWAS Standby Force fully
o Sustaining liaison, coordination and partnership with the African Union and other Regional
Economic Communities/ Regional Mechanisms.
· Enabling ECOWAS to prevent and manage erupting or existing conflicts
o Strengthening national early warning and response capacities;
o Strengthening the role of civil society in conflict prevention and peacebuilding;
o Enhancing ECOWAS early warning and mediation capacities;
o Strengthening the role of women in peace and security (UNSCR 1325, 2000);
o Supporing the ECOWAS Crisis Prevention Framework Enabling Mechanism.
· Contributing to the creation of a secure and safe post conflict environment
o Promoting implementation of the ECOWAS SSRG Policy Framework;
o Supporting for SSRG in The Gambia.
· Convened regional and national multi stakeholder consultations in Abuja and Abidjan, engaging more
than 210 youth representatives from across West Africa over conversations on conflict prevention.