Source of funds: 11th EDF (CRIS ref: 2014/37785)
Decision date: 28/11/2014
Total budget: 30.4MEUR (EU – 28MEUR; Others – 2.4 MEUR)
Implementation period: 3 years (2014 – 2017)
Implementing agency: Various
Geographical region: West Africa
Overall objective is to mitigate the negative effects of the Ebola outbreak and contribute to the recovery of the
most affected countries in West Africa.
· Component 1: National health systems in affected countries are strengthened, including disease
surveillance measures, early warning systems and improved epidemic preparedness measures;
· Component 2: Vulnerable households are more resilient through improved food and nutrition security
with a reinforced capacity to sustainably produce and access food and improved access to clean water
· Component 3: Awareness on Ebola among families and communities is improved and behavioural
change is noted both to prevent Ebola, as well as strengthen survivors;
· Component 4: Improved capacity at regional, national and local levels to coordinate Ebola Virus Disease
(EVD) and post-EVD interventions.
· Enhance the capacity of health workers to detect and respond quickly to new cases of Ebola;
· Assist the resumption of small scale agriculture including provision of inputs to rebuild livelihoods;
· Intensive, community-level outreach to tackle rumours and counter misconceptions about the disease;
· Reinforce coordination mechanisms including technical assistance for studies, M&E, etc.
Main issues (EMlab contract No. 371-110)
Status – Project ended 31/12/2016:
· EMLab contract No. 371-110 closed successfully in CRIS;
· FCA and HQ facilitated Guinea Conakry request to fund an audit from Decision Budget line allotted;
· Final payment processed with help of HQ;
· Containment of the spread of the Ebola virus disease in the West African Region;
· All due reports under the contract (inception, interim, final and evaluation) received and approved;
· Additional brand new mobile lab now delivered;
· EMlab_BNI project linked up with ISTH and NCDC for in-country continuity beyond the project;
· BNI-ISTH met Sept.2017 with NCDC CEO on modalities for deployment of EMlab;
· 1st West Afrian Sub-regional Training on Mobile Lab deployment for Outbreak response June 2019.
· Still awaiting ISTH to provide feedback to the EUD on the June Training Workshop on Mobile Lab
· Final Evaluation of the AWARE Decision is tentatively now planned for Q1/Q2 2020;
· Uncommitted/unused funds under the Decision/contracts to be decommitted;
· Dissemination of Project results and possibly sharing of lessons learned vis regional peer review.