Source of funds: 11th EDF (CRIS ref: 2016/039-578)
Decision date: 30/11/2016
Total budget: EUR 4.3 M - (2M EUR decommitted towards increasing the budget for 11th EDF
Institutional Support to ECOWAS)
Implementation period: 03/02/2017 - 03/02/2021
Implementing agency: ECOWAS and UEMOA
Geographical region: West Africa
The overall objective is the support for the identification, drafting and implementation of the RIP. Mobilisation
of short-, medium- and long-term expertise as well as studies and seminars.
· The successful identification of programmes to be supported under the RIP;
· The successful formulation and preparation of programmes to be supported under the RIP;
· Production of sector studies that will assist in increasing the performance and efficiency of ongoing and
· Increased understanding of development and trade issues by key actors through the organization of
seminars and trainings.
· Technical Assistance Facility (TAF) – a facility for the engagement of short to medium term consultants
to assist in the main stages of the project cycle to ensure the effective implementation of the Regional
Indicative Programme (RIP);
· Conferences and Seminars and Training Support for Projects & Programmes– this will finance various
educational actions such as seminars or awareness-raising activities prior to or during the
formulation/implementation of a project or programme – for example a Project Cycle Management
workshop of stakeholders in a sector identified in the RIP.
Main accomplishments to date:
· Final signature for TCF I obtained from UEMOA in January 2017. Use of funds has effectively begun;
· Funding from the TCF has supported a number of identification and formulation missions of 11th EDF
programmes and also provided support towards the high level Strategic Steering Committee meetings
(COS) between ECOWAS, UEMOA and the EU;
· Contribution towards the establishment of the RAO support unit by financing the Technical Assistance
charged with oversight of its activities.
· As 2 million euros have been transferred to the 11th EDF Institutional Support Project, more judicious
use of the remaining funds is anticipated;
· Request for extension denied, putting at